Hydrocephalus is a condition in which excess cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) builds up within the ventricles (fluid-containing cavities) of the brain and may increase pressure within the head.
Congenital hydrocephalus is present in the infant prior to birth, meaning the fetus developed hydrocephalus in utero during fetal development. The most common cause of congenital hydrocephalus is aqueductal stenosis. Aqueductal stenosis occurs when the narrow passage between the third and fourth ventricles in the brain is blocked or too narrow to allow sufficient cerebro-spinal fluid to drain. Fluid accumulates in the upper ventricles, causing hydrocephalus.
This condition is acquired as a consequence of CNS infections, meningitis, brain tumors, head trauma, toxoplasmosis, intracranial hemorrhage (subarachnoid or intraparenchymal) and is usually painful
Other causes of hydrocephalus include neural tube defects, arachnoid cysts, Dandy-Walker syndrome, and Arnold-Chiari malformation
Symptoms of increased intracranial pressure may include:
Headaches, Vomiting, Nausea, Papilledema, Sleepiness or coma. Elevated Intracranial pressure may result in uncal or tonsillar herniation, with resulting life-threatening brain stem compression, Hakim's triad of gait instability, urinary incontinence and dementia.
In infants with hydrocephalus, CSF builds up in the central nervous system, causing the fontanelle (soft spot) to bulge and the head to be larger than expected. Early symptoms may also include:
- Eyes that appear to gaze downward
- Separated sutures
Symptoms that may occur in older children can include:
- Brief, shrill, high-pitched cry
- Changes in personality, memory, or the ability to reason or think
- Changes in facial appearance and eye spacing
- Crossed eyes or uncontrolled eye movements
- Difficulty feeding
- Excessive sleepiness
- Irritability, poor temper control
- Loss of bladder control (urinary incontinence)
- Loss of coordination and trouble walking
- Muscle spasticity (spasm)
- Slow growth (child 0–5 years)
- Slow or restricted movement
- Do not feed the child in excess
- do not self - medicate
- watch out for vomiting in such kids
- water intake should be minimal
- void loud sounds around the child's environment
All kinds of Aquired Hydrocephalus are absolutely curable with Homoeopathy. Depending upon the cause of Hydrocephalus, Homoeopathic medicines can restore the inner brain homoeostasis and fluid balance over a period of some time.
Even after sugical interventions, patients tend to develop hydrocephalus again. This is where Homoeopathy can play a huge role. It not only prevents the recurrence but also can assisst in in faster healing in case of surgically treated hydrocephalus patients.
Limitation lies in Congenital hydrocephalus where surgery is required usually to carry out the normal functioning of the child's body. Here Homoeopathy plays a beautiful complimentary role in preventing the relapse and also improving the quality of life of the patient.
- Hydrocephalus can be successfully treated by placing a drainage tube (shunt) between the brain ventricles and abdominal cavity.
- Hydrocephalus treatment is surgical, creating a way for the excess fluid to drain away. In the short term, an external ventricular drain (EVD), also known as an extraventricular drain or ventriculostomy, provides relief. In the long term, some patients will need any of various types of cerebral shunt. It involves the placement of a ventricular catheter (a tube made of silastic) into the cerebral ventricles to bypass the flow obstruction/malfunctioning arachnoidal granulations and drain the excess fluid into other body cavities, from where it can be reabsorbed.
- An alternative treatment for obstructive hydrocephalus in selected patients is the endoscopic third ventriculostomy (ETV), whereby a surgically created opening in the floor of the third ventricle allows the CSF to flow directly to the basal cisterns, thereby shortcutting any obstruction, as in aqueductal stenosis.
- CSF testing
- MRI of the Brain
- CT scan of the brain
- Complete Haemogram
A case of Hydrocephalus improved very well with Homoeopathy
Watch here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNuhLNlDVOE
MAST. A. P
HYDROCEPHALUS TREATED WITH HOMOEOPATHY
I, Amarjot Singh Bhatia , 16 Yrs. of age never thought in my life that homoeopathic medicine will become my lifesaving medicine which is thought to be slow acting . I am really grateful to homoeopathic consultant “Dr A.K.Gupta” who showed the right path to my parents in my childhood. When I was hardly six months of age, I was having some brain problem as I was delivered by forceps delivary method and my birth weight was 3.6 Kg. C.T.Scan showed bilateral fronto parietal Hygroma with mild Hydrocephalous and Parenchymal atrophic changes . Allopathic doctors advised immediate surgery to save my life but it was Dr A.K.Gupta only who suggested for homoeopathic treatment for some time. It did wonders and within six months I was cured. In Nov. 1998, I was diagnosed of having bilateral maxillary sinusitis and for that also I took homoeopathic treatment with great relief. Not only this, In Dec. 2003, I had a bad fall from the third floor of my house and got multiple brain injuries. I was operated at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital but after one month it was found that I have developed some complication and once again urgent brain surgery was advised. C.T.Scan showed: A large extra dural Haematoma in Right posterior fronto parietal region. An associated subdural component is also seen with the haematoma on to anterior aspect of fronto temporal region on right side. Tentorial subdural haematoma is also present. Multifocal areas of contusion are present in Right temporal lobeand right posterioparietal region. Evidence of subarachnoid haemorrhage is noted in superficial C.S.F. spare is in right frontal region .Interhemispheric fissure appears hyper dense. I was brought again under the care of Dr.A.K.Gupta and his magic pills of Homoeopathy; He visited at hospital to see me and started the homoeo treatment. C.T.Scan done on Jan 13, 2004 showed moderate communicating hydrocephalous with evidence of periventricular oozing. C.T.Scan was repeated at regular interval. C.T.Scan done in May 2004 showed communicating extraventrical hydrocephalous in the right temporal and occipital region. Oedema seen in previous C.T.Scan has largely resolved.
Then I had several problem like hearing problem, musical sounds in ear and even problem in walking. But after getting treatment for five months , I am almost normal and by grace of god I appeared in my board exams (Xth class) in the month of marchand got brilliant result which was almost ruled out by the parents and doctors of the hospital earlier on seeing my condition . I am still undergoing homoeopathic treatment which has proved to be much better contrary to general belief and expectations which has made me a firm admirer of homoeopathic system of medicine where such a severe problem has responded so well and almost cured me with sweet tiny pills instead of agony of bitter tablets and capsules and horrifying injections and major surgeries. My sincere thanks to Dr. A.K.Gupta and Homoeopathy.
12A/3, Gali No-10,
New Delhi –110018
Ph – 25588976